Since we missed our holiday this past winter, I've had blogging withdrawal so i will blog out adventurous vacation to South Dakota!
We had been talking about going to the black hills for a couple years and everyone we talked to about it said it was a really nice area to visit. So here we are road tripping through the Dakotas.
We set out on Saturday am after dropping our little doggy off at her babysitters and we were off. We decided to head through Brandon and cross the border at the international peace gardens, which I had been to on a family camping trip. We got there and it started pouring rain so we crossed that off our list and continued to Minot.
Our original plan was to leave Sunday and drive straight though, but we decided to drive about half way and break up the trip. Chris, my dear Chris was in charge of booking us a hotel room.
After some shopping in Minot and dinner at Ruby Tuesday we headed off to what I learned was a cabin that chris booked for us between Minot and Bismarck. We pulled up to our "cabin" which was about the size of a small garage, musty smelling and decked out in retro '70's furniture. We found " Ronnie", the lady that showed us to our cabin, in the bar and it seemed as though she had been there for a few hours already. She took us to our cabin and informed us that "the only thing is, I don't have a key for this one, but don't worry, no one messes with the cabins". Which I thought, I don't blame them if she was in charge. Ronnie was a rough, foul mouthed woman who dropped the "F" bomb at least 25 times as she led us the 50 meters from the bar to the cabin.
So instead of sitting in our musty garage cabin we went for a drive to see all the lakes in the area. It turned out to be a nice evening sitting by the water and driving around the lakes.
After a surprisingly decent sleep we headed out to Bismarck and to continue onto our final destination. We got slightly sidetracked in Bismarck with Kohls and we stopped at walmart to pick up some fruit and veggies and cheese and crackers and other snacks for our hotel room.
Chris spoke with some people along the way and someone told him to stop at general Custers house. Because I know nothing about any type of history you will have to google General Custer. It was a neat house with a lot of original things in it and it was built in 1889. it was guided by a girl in costume and she spoke like it was 1889. A bit cheesy yes, but that seems to be how we do vacations now.
So after the museum and wandering around an old Indian village with mud hut type dwellings we headed off to south Dakota a bit later than we imagined. Bismarck is still 6 hours from Lead, which is where our hotel is. We only have about 2 hours to go as I type this in the car.
We stopped for dinner just a bit ago in Dickenson, where Chris happened to stumble upon a Bonanza restaurant which he was quite pleased about. I was curious myself since I hadn't been to one for years since I remember grandma and grandpa taking us there when grandpa ate this weight in all you can eat shrimp! This menu option was discontinued, which Chris was disappointed about, but he survived. We were both quite disappointed in bonanza, I guess it was much more exciting as kids.
So now we're driving through pretty rolling hills and we are looking forward to getting to our hotel (palace express). I'm a little nervous it may be a bit sketchy, but that seems to be how we roll. We will see what tomorrows adventures hold for us. Keep posted.
Update: we have arrived at the palace. It was pretty dark when we got here so we weren't able to see the scenery, but we could make out a bit of rock and it was pretty hilly. The little Echo barely made it up some of the hills. We checked into our room and we are completely surprised. The rooms are dated but cheap....cheaper than our garage cabin. Super clean, free wifi, breakfast in the morning! Who knew????
Off to bed. Goodnight
No comments:
Post a Comment