Monday, February 18, 2008

miss the seafood, but glad to cool off in the mountains..pretty views as well‏

well i was very sad to leave the beach town with our view of ocean......but it had to be done after being there 4 nights....so i ordered breaded fish 1 last time for breakfast.....and by 9:00 we were boarding the bus on the highway off to the next experience.
We're in Juyua now and they have a festival actually worth calling a festival. Sadly we got shafted into a 20.00-night room which was no better than ones we´d paid 10.00 for but b-c of the festival and it being friday all cheaper places were booked up and they had us by the balls so to speak, so we took it. The town was up in the mountains and had really nice sights and views and was cooler that last few towns we were at. We did find an awesome mexican restaurant, but being a loser I ordered the ´deal of the day´ chicken, rice, veggies, tortillas and it totally wasn´t mexican at all but tasty. The travel book suggested it and i was stuffed.......i did put some hot sauces on it so it was sorta mexican food. That night people were setting up booths already (for the festival) and to no surprise by 8:00 pm it was like a ghost town...........I settled for a 1.25 hamberguesa in one place that looked open and Dave and I had some beers at the mexican restaurant.
The next day, wow, what a pleasant surprise, the town was loaded with people and food stalls everywhere and all kinda of crafts, spices, clothing, music and other things were for sale. There was over 20 -25 food stalls serving food and drinks, beer was .80 and fillet mingnon 6.00, t-bone steak 6.00, lobster 6.00 - 15.00 depending on size, chocolate covered strawberies and other fruit, assorted meat and veggie plates 4.00 - 6.00 depending on size , assorted breaded seafood platter 5.00 and my personal favorite, food from mexico to venezuala and all countries in between..even one austrailian one but didn´t look very austrailian? i ate and ate and ate....oh had some beers too.
They had horse rides for kids, horse and buggy rides for lovers(shoulda been here laura) and a bus with dance floor on top that went on sightseeing tour or local area........................it was just all all around
Went to room for siesta and then in the evening I met Dave for a beer in front of a 24 hour store similair to 7-11 back home.................except that it had chair in front and sold ber 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for .85 can , 1.00 bottle.......................how sweet was that. If we had these in Canada I think I´d just move next door and get my calls forwarded to the place.........it was cool . We had some beers then this drunk sat with us and Dave pulled out a dollar and left it on table for about 10 mins while offering him a beer (big no no...i would never do this), he did have a bottle of cheap local booze in his pocket to share, but still... well when I went in store to buy beer, 2 guys came up and basically kicked this guy out and moved in themselves..............guess they thought they should get the free beer instead of this guy....................well after Dave bought the first round for them, 2 more free loaders moved in, luckily 1 of the original 2 passed out, so it was really like only 1 more person so now there was 5 of us. Was nice of Dave to buy them rounds of beer and next day he said he spent 22.00, an expensive night for out here, but really 22.00 ain´t that bad, plus he tipped the guy behind the till, and the guy wiping the tops of the beer cans and fed jukebox for about 6 songs. Only bad part was the bathroom, my god, Dave joked 'don´t wipe out in their b-c the entire floor is just a pool of urine slowly flowing out the door' and it smelled like it. Then someone took a ...............well not a pee.......in there and after that I just looked out for no police in sight, and peed in the street. It was a serious party place and the store sold bottles of hard liquor and mix and really, by midnight every table was full of people drinking..................it just semed like a huge magnet to draw all the drunks from the town to one spot to party there.................how else u think me n Dave got sucked in............haha next day we slept in, I managed to eat then said to Dave I had to sit in the shade for a while to listen to music and build my appetite so I could eat again before we left.............Dave laughed at my theories and said sitting down wasn´t a good way to build one´s appetite...........I proved him wrong and within 3 hours I ordered a breaded seafood combo plate .............even nicer was I shared a table w-local couple and their kids. The father noticed I had nothing to drink, so he reached in a bag on the table, grabbed a can of coke opened it and barked at his wife in spanish to get me a straw of which she did....how nice was that, a local giving a tourist something for free...............musta been good karma for me for all the cigarettes i handed out to the drunks the night before .
Well the bus ride was absolutely georgeous scenery through the mountians. We saw a sign Tacuba 19 kms, right on we´ll be there right away............ah no, it took about 35 mins to go that 19 kms.........honest I love chicken buses but they are so slow and they are always starting n stopping to let people on or off. Oh well it has good music on them and it is always something to see or action going on...........sadly haven´t ridden with any chicken lately though? huh Well we are staying in nice guesthouse, the owners son is known throughout the whole region for guiding tours and we were told he just returned from 1 month in europe..........as discovery or some other American television program paid him a whack of money to take them up into the mountains, national parks to see the scenery and wildlife. Realy nice house w-hammocks everywhere and flowers in the yard, a cute dog, 3 parrots, free coffee and water and his mom is awesome cook (not as good as mine, but like a mexican version of her cooking)
poor lady i had a huge mexican torta(12 inch sub bun with guacolmole,beef, onions, tomatoes, cheese, refreid beans and toasted) 1.50. Hardly pays her any profit. I just finished 3 big beef tacos for 1.50. That was my breakfast, interesting too, the dormitory...I've gotta say i respect the girl dave and I are sharing a room with, really it is 1 big room with 5 beds, and think, 1 girl locked in room with me and Dave sleeping within 1 foot of her bed.................We aren´t creeps or perverts, but how does she know?????
She used a good term for the shower.............'suicide shower' , it is a shower head that has heating element in it and wires running to shower head................so yeah when you are standing inthe water showering and water is spraying onto exposed wires.....I guess an electrocution hazard exists.............truthfully, it doesn´t bother me in a bit or worry me. Of all the ways to die in Central America I´ll be damned if it's gonna be from taking a shower for me! Either way after weeks of cold showers, or the odd place was showering with a bucket of cold water(when is the last time u did that?)...........I'll take my chances to have a hot shower.
Our place even has a nice look out veranda over the room with view on entire town and suroundings
Well, I gotta start walking to build appetite for supper.............plus everyone in hostel but me went on tours today, so they should be back by now......I'm gonna ask how much punishment I am really up for hiking in the mountains tomorrow if i decide to go. I might go on tour to waterfall tomorrow, or just walk down the road and look at the scenery, maybe just laze in a hammock and read and look at the mountains...no say?
either way, enjoying this town and it´s suroundings, and friendly looks from the locals.

No comments: